Hello and welcome to Pelican Class. We are year 6 children and our teacher is Mrs.Byrne.
- The Pelican has the largest bill of all birds. It can reach 18 inches in length. Underneath the bill, pelicans have a throat pouch which can hold 3 gallons of water.
- The pouch is mainly used for feeding, but it can be also used as a cooling device.
- The Pelican is a giant bird, which has a wingspan of five metres, so that they are able to fly up to a height of 3000 metres.
- Pelicans are among the heaviest flying birds, but, despite this, their skeleton is 1/10 of their body weight.
- Pelicans have no nostrils and they breathe through their beaks