Reading at Intack Primary School - Statement of Intent
- To ensure early reading is underpinned by good quality phonics teaching.
- We will provide opportunities for children to read across the curriculum to develop knowledge of the world and themselves.
- To provide opportunities and enthuse children to develop a desire to read for pleasure.
- To allow children to read a variety of text types such as magazines, newspaper, books, comics and eBooks.
- To ensure children are given a range of reading opportunities through a carousel approach to provide a balance between word recognition and comprehension knowledge and skills.
- To encourage children to use the taught independent strategies to self-monitor and correct their own and peers reading.
- To ensure children read widely across both fiction and non-fiction texts to develop an understanding of story structure, characters and a growing vocabulary for a variety of topics.
- To provide adequate provisions, differentiated guided reading opportunities and focused teaching interventions to close the gap.
- By the end of KS1, most children will be able to read fluently and confidently.