Hello and welcome to the Toucan Class. We are year 5 and our teacher is Mr Townsend
All the classes in school have a bird name so they can be easily recognised, our class is named after the toucan and we have researched some interesting facts about our class bird:
- Toucans are native to South America and can usually be found in the rain-forests there, living high in the canopy of trees.
- They are an omnivorous bird that eat small animals, insects, reptiles and plants.
- There are 42 different species of toucans ranging in size from 60 cms to 90 cms.
- Their brightly coloured and distinctive bill is not only used for reaching and killing food, but acts also as a balance to support their weight in the trees.
- A toucan will make its nest in a tree trunk, again using its beak to hollow out a space.